Monday 7 March 2011

Oldboy (2003) Park Chan-wook

So, what did you all think?
Hard not to have a fairly strong emotional response to this film...
Either to one of the themes, the content or style of the film.

Tasks to complete:
1. Research the film and take notes. How successful was it? Look at box office, awards and critical acclaim. Also look for articles that take issue with some of the more violent and disturbing content. Why do you think this is? See if you can find evidence of critics citing 'copycat' theory - a brand of effects theory.
2. Research the director and take notes. Find out more about Chan-wook Park. What other films has he done? What are they about? What do people say about his style? Why is his subject matter often so dark? Why do you think he is well respected as a filmmaker?
3. Write a comment to this post by the end of the lesson outlining your initial emotional responses to the film.

"In my films, I focus on pain and fear. The fear just before an act of violence and the pain after. This applies to the perpetrators as well as the victims." - Park Chan-wook

3 comments:

  1. I actually really enjoyed Oldboy - some bits, like when the ants start crawling under Oh Dae-Su's skin - were gross, but I think in the overall narrative and style they deserved to be there. This is the same with the violence - I think it added something to the film and wasn't gratuitous. The only bit that really annoyed me was the video game sequence when Oh Dae-Su fights all the guards in the corridor, as I thought it stuck out from the rest of the film and didn't really make sense.
    Overall I liked it despite its uncomfortable themes and violence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reaction to the film was very mixed. I have to say I enjoyed it overall as a construction, and admittedly I was swept away in the narrative, eager to find out why Oh Dae-Su was abducted and so on. The final twenty minutes or so were very uncomfortable viewing, especially the scene where Oh Dae-Su cuts his tongue out and barks on the floor like a dog. I didn't enjoy this sequence, but I realise it was needed for the dark tone of the film as a whole, and I don't think it affected my enjoyment of the film overall. However, there were some bits that struck me as odd and out of place, such as the scene where Oh Dae-Su is fighting a seemingly never-ending line of men, and looks like it is straight out of a 90's video game. I realise that Korean cinema is very different to Hollywood and the cinema that I am used to watching, and that it is very expressionist, but I thought the nature of that scene was unnecessary and I found it slightly weird.
    Despite the fact that the film essentially has a violent incest led storyline, I found it enthralling, and I believe this is the main factor that gave me a positive overall reaction to Oldboy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I really enjoyed Old Boy. It had me thinking about it days after watching it (which is usually a good sign!). However some bits were incredibly difficult to watch due to the violence, but without the extreme violence I believe it wouldn't have the same impact as the extreme narrative in a way justifies it.
    The enigmas that are present from the start straight to the end such as "why has he been locked up?" is probably one of the films strongest points as it held my attention throughout.

    The last sequences were Oh Dae-Su cuts out his own tongue while pretending to be a dog can almost be seen as disturbing but is very powerful imagery.

    I also liked the surreal imagery with the giant ant on the train and when Oh Dae-Su comes out of a suitcase.
    The final sequence is brilliant and for me one of the best bits as it had me thinking long after. When Oh Dae-Su is being hypnotised (or not?) in the snow, it leaves it open ended and this really works.

    ReplyDelete